Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I See........Pinestraw

You've heard of seeing dead people as a sixth sense? Well, I can see pinestraw as my sixth sense. This past weekend, I spent a good bit of time raking, bagging and distributing pinestraw in our flower beds. It is a painstaking task, but when you have had to pay for bales of pinestraw (at $15/ea., like we did last year), you're just grateful to even be able to rake some up.

It started with getting the beds naked....so that we could see what needed trimming and pull weeds. Then, we could fluff all of the old pinestraw, for added volume, before applying the new needles. Finally, after many scrapes and pokes....we had a nice, thick layer of pinestraw covering our flower beds. It was like the plants were being held snuggly in place by a brown see of discarded items.

The only problem now...everywhere I go, I see fresh piles of pinestraw.....or a freshly dropped carpet of it, and it makes me just want to grab a rake. Habit, I suppose at this point.

No comments: