Thursday, October 14, 2010

Falling Colors

I've started to notice more and more Fall colors. There will be a bit of red in this Bradford pear tree or a touch of yellow in this majestic oak. I love looking around, as I'm driving home, and taking in all of the colors of each season that I can. The season, the reds and yellows seem to dominate.

1,000 Words Photography-Portfolio
 Fall is that aptly named season for which many things, ironically enough, fall; temperatures, leaves, colors from the tops of trees down and length of the days. I guess it only makes sense for this season to be named Fall. The symbolism is very touching, because you can almost feel the season being called into existence by its mere name. It seems to fulfill its destiny.

Just the other day, I noticed that some of the Bradford pear trees were turning shades of red. I love this, because they can really put on a show, depending on how quickly the cold temperatures arrive. This year, we had an early start with a couple of weeks being quite chilly. After that, however, we had a bit of a warm spell...almost reaching 100 for a few days, and in the 90's for a few weeks. Although it is still pretty hot during the day, middle of the way through October, the nights are often cool enough to sleep with the windows open.

I'm hoping that this more gradual cooling than we had last year will afford me the pleasure of seeing our Florida Flame maple tree turn bright colors; red, orange and yellow. In full flush, it is supposed to look like it is a tree on fire with flames of color, licking at every leaf.  At first, the dastardly draught we are having, would have deprived me of the privelege of seeing this beautiful tree's splendor, because its leaves began falling off rather quickly. However, I have been able to stave off the inevitable by constantly watering it. Hopefully, the hard work will pay off...in a color burst for my viewing. If I'm so lucky, photos of the ruddy beauty will surely follow.

No comments: