Saturday, January 24, 2009

Dogs, and the Problems that Follow

Dogs are cute. Sure. However, they don't serve enough of a purpose of entertainment to get a pass on this rant.

There is always this barking in the distance. Every time we go in our bathroom, we can hear the distant barking especially clearly. I thought it might be the house next to us. They do have dogs, but it is not theirs. They are very well behaved....the people and the dogs. ha ha.

Tonight, I was getting dressed after taking a shower, and I heard the barking. I was determined to find out where it was coming from. I went out in the backyard and listened. I heard the barking in the distance. It was clearly not the next door neighbor's dogs. I went back in the house. I walked out the front door, still in search of the only annoying sound that the stupid animals can make. I walked down the driveway, and out into the street. I kept walking down our street, in search of the incessant noise. Five houses later, I found it. I found the blasted animal, barking away inside his fenced yard. It was just a constant, nagging bark.

I had never wished I had a blow gun more than right then. I mean, clearly I could not use my 9mm that is in the car...too many people would hear it. Plus, it is a little bit illegal to shoot it here in the city.

One of the kids that lived at that house opened the back door and stooped to pet the dog. Amazingly, the dog stopped barking for the first time in about 45 minutes. As soon as the boy went back in the house, it was right back to barking as usual for the mutt.

My theory is that this dog is spoiled rotten. Every time the owners put him out in the back yard, he just sits back there and barks until they let him. The problem is that this is usually over hours and hours. They may not let the thing in the whole night....much to our demise. Maybe the dog will become ill with something......soon.

Needless to say, I will not be getting a dog soon. Even if I did, I would have the sense and courtesy to train it not to bark all of the time. And truly, it would not come in the house!

No comments: