Monday, September 29, 2008

Change We Can Believe In?


Career. What an over-hyped word. What an over-worked scenario (pun intended). Since when did we "do" become what we "are"? I don't get it. Just because I do this job or that job, I am still the person I was always going to be. It is funny to me that when you meet people, they don't ask you things you like to do or where you work, but rather, "What do you do?" What they are referring to is your line of work. They want to know what your career is. Well, I am a teller at a bank, but that is definitely not what I do. I like to write, shoot pictures, spend time with my wonderful wife, etc. There are plenty of things that I "do," that have nothing to do with my career.

All of this was brought to mind recently, because I am considering changing "career paths." I would like to go in a different direction....one that actually makes some money. I am barely getting by with the money I make. Is it such a wrong thing to want to make a lot of money for the work that you do? I don't think so. In fact, I would argue that it is the very reason that we go to work. Money is what we are working for. Some people want to act like that has nothing to do with it, and you cannot talk about it. Why not? I understand some people that say, "It is not 'just' about the money." However, I do not get those that tout, "It is not about the money, I just like the job." Well, that is probably some of it, but money has to play some factor in it. I do believe it is important to work in an area of your calling. I get that. I just don't get people that say you ought not to pursue something that will give you and your family a better life.

These thoughts float to the top of my brain from time to time. Tonight was one of those times. I have been thinking about BancorpSouth recently. I have thought that I could stay another 5 years and still not be up to the income level that I would need, to be able to support a family, should Rebecca and I want to have kids and her stay home with them. I think that is the driving factor in all of this. I just want to have the option, if that time comes. Right now, I don't.

More to come...

No comments: