Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Practice

I am awaiting the rapidly approaching weekend, although not rapidly enough. Why would I be doing that? Well, I will be headed, with my lovely wife, to Grenada for the weekend. This is not just a typical family visit, but we are going for a particular reason. Rebecca's grandparents, the Clarks, are celebrating 50 years together this upcoming weekend. That's right, 50 years!

That is just a long time, any way you look at it. I have barely been alive more than half of that time. They have shared every part of their lives with each other for 50 years now. I really cannot even comprehend that.

If you see them together, Fuzzy and Margaret, you see how they made it to the 50th year. They are wonderful together. They share in the responsibilities. They respect each other. The love each other, unconditionally. These are all things I strive for in my own marriage. I don't know that I am the best at them yet, but I am working toward something though.

Maybe one day, I will also celebrate a 50th anniversary with Rebecca. That would be a great day!

No comments: